Thursday, December 01, 2005

Christmas in Rockefeller Center

In case you live under a rock, last night they lit the tree at Rockefeller Center. (Sorry, but you have no excuse if you don't live in the New York metro area -- it's broadcast nationally!) The occasion definitely marks the beginning of a rushed yet happy season. I do admit, though, that a couple of times I did go to New York to see the tree in person, and I was kind of unimpressed -- it looks so much bigger on TV!

Anyway, this time of year usually makes me wonder a lot about the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. My wife and I often discuss these topics:

- Do they ever detect green spray paint on the tree to disguise decaying parts?

- Whose dad to they get to test the Christmas lights, get pissed off, and curse? And does that dad also have to jam the tree into the ground to make sure the needles don't fall off?

- Speaking of the string of lights...do they keep the extra bulbs in a Dutch Masters cigar box? Really, did everybody have these things? Heck, we had a bunch of those cigar boxes around the house when I was a kid, but nobody I've ever known actually smoked those things!

- That button the celebrity presses to light the tree -- is that on a toggle? Just once I'd love to see said person toggle the tree off after about five seconds, utter "heh heh...just kidding," and then turn it back on.

- Where do they get a Christmas tree stand wide enough to support that monster?

- When the Christmas season is over, do they throw the tree out against the curb like everybody else?

- During the off season, where do they keep the star they put on top of the tree? My wife and I are assuming they put it in the attic at 30 Rock in a cardboard box with "X-mas Star" written on it in marker. Maybe there's something else already written on the box but scribbled out.

You just can't help but wonder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home